There are various public works and other projects that are either recently completed, near completion, and coming up.
SPLOST II (Sale Tax previous allocation)
- Peeksville Road at Highway 42. Installation of turning lanes and signalization of one of the busiest intersections in the City of Locust Grove. Ribbon Cutting held for completion December 17, 2009. Cost of $2,019,925.
- Warren Holder Park Improvements. Construction of new football fields and concessions stand. Phase 1 Completed in late 2007, with addition of new parking in 2009. Complete.
- Bowden Street Reconstruction (SPLOST III) and South Bethany Street paving. This project was extended by the reconstruction of Bowden Street in the City, including some realignment and culvert work near the back entrance to Warren Holder Park. Cost to City is $500,000 with completion set for early 2010. Work is nearly 100% complete, with paving of the street finished in May 2010. Completed July 28, 2010.
SPLOST III (Sale Tax current allocation)
- Purchase of Property for Public Use. Purchase of property adjacent to City Hall for permanent parking as well as purchase of the cemetery site for perpetual maintenance. $1.125 million. Complete.
- Renovation of City Hall. Repair and replace roof, soffits, and eaves. Paint all exterior trim and fire escapes, installation of new awnings on lower level side entrances. Cost of approximately $85,000. Completed in November 2009. Latest renovation is a pitched roof over the former lunchroom addition in order to fix leaks over the old flat, membrane-type roof. Cost just over $20,000 and completed November 21, 2011. Picture to the RIGHT> UPDATE, courtroom renovation completed July 2012.
- Relocation of Public Works. Disassembling and relocation of Public Works department buildings from Cleveland Street to new site under development at the intersection of Davis Lake Road and Mose Brown Drive. Includes expansion of existing buildings to accommodate growth since 2000. Estimated costs of approximately $500,000. To be complete by June 2010. Renfroe Construction selected for relocation and the completion of the 3 Shell Buildings. Work underway. Former site has been completed in terms of demolition to accommodate the new Trailhead Park. Interior finish work on Main Public Works Building complete. Final element is landscaping, completed late Spring 2011 at cost of approximately $627,000.
- Parks and Recreation: Trailhead. This project was superseded by the ARRA Stimulus funding for the City of Locust Grove by the State of Georgia. Completion by the end of 2010. ARRA/TE (Transportation Enhancement) Project 100% funded at $251,000. Bid by Willow Construction of Powder Springs, GA. Major construction began June 2010, and was completed November 2010. Parking lot is complete. Main park area is now 100% complete. SITE PLAN
SPLOST III (Sale Tax current allocation)
- Parks and Recreation: Locust Grove Station Softball Park. Joint venture with Henry County to complete softball complex begun by DRA Development in 2006. Install lighting, stands, concessions area and sod on the fields. Local Costs estimated at $254,000. Total Cost over $650,000. Construction set to begin by December 31, 2010. Status as of July 2010 - deferred due to budgetary constraints. Now programmed for SPLOST-IV if approved.
- Bill Gardner at I-75 Interchange Modification Report (IMR). This study at a cost of just under $185,000 will review existing and future conditions of the interstate and this heavily-traveled interchange for ultimate design concept for future funding. Concept of this interchange will move the stalled design on the Bill Gardner Parkway widening from I-75 to SR 155. RS&H Engineers performing Study. Technical Staff Meeting completed January 14, 2010. Data Collection primarily complete. Environmental Analysis and Preliminary Concepts are nearly complete, with full analysis on the preferred concept options underway in June 2010. Full Study complete by end of 2010. Presentation held on January 18, 2011 with final document transmitted to FHWA in April-May 2011. Currently under review by FHWA after delivery to them from the Georgia DOT.
Other Projects (private/public-private partnership)
- Connecting Trails/Multiuse Path Extension. Modification and extension of the multiuse pathways in Locust Grove Station to Tanger Outlet Center along Tanger Boulevard, with extension along LG-Griffin Road to Cleveland Street. Estimated Project Cost $938,000 with up to $300,000 local funding/SPLOST III note. This project was selected for Phase III ARRA funding. Contract with GaDOT to be approved April 5, 2010. Low Bidder was Southeastern Site at $367,650. Construction underway as of first of July 2010. Now closing out this project Summer 2013.
- Auxiliary lane on Bill Gardner Parkway between I-75 NB off ramp to Tanger Boulevard. Estimated cost of over $300,000 of which private developer will design and construct majority of lane. Joint effort with Henry County, City, and GaDOT. Estimated construction in mid-2010. Design complete February 2010. Small area of ROW is needed at Tanger Boulevard intersection secured early 2011. Construction is now underway. Joint effort of over $300,000 by all main parties: Henry County Board of Commissioners, City of Locust Grove, Shi Investments One, LLC; Wal-Mart Realty Trust, and STLC, LLC at a cost below $300,000. Completed Spring 2012 at cost of $200,000.
- New Road connecting Highway 42 to Bill Gardner at Tanger Boulevard. This is a privately-funded road to facilitate the development of a new Walmart store and future commercial development. Estimated cost of over $3 million and completed by 2011. Construction underway as part of the Walmart #5709 construction. New roadway now complete and is called Market Place Boulevard. Walmart opened March 16, 2011.
Copyright © 2009